One of the questions I got on my previous entry was quite interesting, so I feel I should devote this entry to it.
“EJ – do you think the Yankees should try & sign Manny? Julia”
I’d love to sign Manny, we can never have too much bullpen help. Too bad he’s not a free agent though. Did he get released?
OHHH, THAT Manny!
I really, really, really do not want Manny Ramirez, for numerous reasons, which I will name right here:
1. We already have a plethora of outfielders, so much so that we’re trading them away. We have Damon in left, Gardner in center and Nady in right. We have Nick Swisher and Melky Cabrera on the bench. We are already juggling around DHs; Hideki Matsui, maybe Swisher, maybe Miranda, maybe Posada if he still can’t catch. To get Manny, an OF/DH type who we have enough of already, wouldn’t really make sense at all.
2. Manny has a bad attittude. He played badly to get himself out of Boston, and although he did amazingly with the Dodgers, it still doesn’t change the controversy that he put himself through as a Red Sock.
3. Too much money. We would have to pay him millions among millions of dollars just to have his bat in the lineup. We’ve already payed too much money for Tex, AJ and CC. It would just be crazy spending to get Manny.
4. Attention/pressure. They’ve gotten enough attention from the media and fans of other teams with the current signings they’ve made. Imagine Red Sox fans reacting to signing Manny… imagine all that attention. The cries of “MANNY! YOU BACKSTABBER!” and all the nasty posts made on message boards and such. Not only that, we already have a ton of pressure to at least make the World Series. It would be disastrous if we signed Tex, AJ, CC, and Manny, and not make the World Series. The Yankees would be under a lot of heat for being cursed and un-clutch and stupid for thinking they could buy a championship, and you know what the Yankees would do? They would sign all the free agents. They’d sign.. Matt Holliday, Adrian Beltre, John Lackey, Tim Hudson, et cetera, and the vicious cycle would repeat itself.
5. He’s not that good. I know you all are gasping right now. I didn’t just say that! Manny is incredible! Manny will always take you to the postseason! People, get real here. It was a total fluke 2nd half. He’s 36 years old, to be 37 in May. He was average in 2007. He was in a free agent season last year. He’s not going to give us what he gave the Dodgers in all likelihood.
So when you take all these 5 things into account, it would not be a good signing at all for the Yanks to sign Manny.
Stay positive, Yankees fans.
-EJ the Kid from New York
Scott Proctor Signs with Florida Marlins
…what can I say about Scott Proctor?
We’ll start with he sucks. He had like, a 6 ERA last year with the Dodgers. He’s not very good. He has great stuff last time I checked; a blistering fastball, good breaking pitches. But he was mind-numbingly frustrating with the Yankees.
Well, according to some sources, he has signed with the Florida Marlins. That’s right, the Marlins. …I don’t, I don’t understand this move. Do you?
I mean… are the Marlins rebuilding or not? Do they see Proctor doing anything good? Cause he won’t… well, we’ll see how this turns out. But yeah, Scott Proctor is a Marlin.
Let’s check where some other ex-Yankees joined other teams this offseason.
Wilson Betemit. Traded with pitching prospect Jeffrey Marquez and Jhonny Nunez in the Nick Swisher/Kanekoa Texeira deal.
Kyle Farnsworth. Oh yes, the mighty Farns signed a deal with the deal-happy Kansas City Royals this offseason.
Chris Britton. I’m not sure how he’s a Padre now, but yeah. He’s a Padre now. I guess they signed him to a minor league contract.
Manny to the Giants?
Well would you look at that! The San Francisco Giants are interested in Manny Ramirez. Ain’t that… something? Not only that, but they’ve reportedly offered a four-year deal.
Manny Ramirez would really add that big KICK to the Giants’ lineup that they’ve been seeking; but he’s sooo old! Really? A four year deal? A four year deal? That’s insane. He’s 37 I think! Why would you do that?
Is the need for Manny so huge that you would offer him a freaking 4 year deal? At his age a TWO year deal is rare. Is his abiity to hit really that gigantic and monstrous that you would offer him a FOUR YEAR DEAL? Do you really expect him to rake at 42? I don’t. I don’t think anybody does.
Hey… he might. Haha, if there’s ONE guy who could hit 30 homers at 42, it’d be Manuel Aristides Ramirez. So… we’ll just have to wait and see, but even IF it’s Manny, the Giants are bananas.
Anyways, stay positive Yankee fans…
-EJ the Kid From New York
Umm… since the Yankees haven’t really done anything big, I’ll just go over some minor news in the baseball world. Minor to me, anyway. Maybe not minor to you.
Mets’ Wright to join Team USA in WBC
Since A-Rod’s going to play for the Dominican Republic(woohoo!), David Wright will join Team USA. Apparently it’s going to be a fantastic USA team this year; Wright, Sizemore, Lackey, McCann, Dustin Pedroia the MVP, Jeter… it’ll be really interesting. I wouldn’t be too surprised if they win, but I’m rooting the DR on.
Brewers eyeing free agent Looper
Yes, Braden Looper. Umm, when’s the part where I care? No offense Brewers, no offense Braden, but… Braden Looper isn’t exactly the most amazing pitcher in the world last I checked. I really have nothing to add to this… I don’t know why I even bothered putting this up, I have nothing to say about it…
Yankees may make pitch to Manny
First of all, ya’ll may think this is humongous news… I don’t think this is all that big. Manny is a great player, it’s the YANKEES, OUR Yankees, but… really, the one thing I feel about this is “NO MANNY NO MANNY NO”. Simple as that… I read something really interesting about this in the paper, I think the New York Post or the New York Times today, just an editorial I think… it said something about this. It said something like this.,, the Yankees shouldn’t sign Manny because Manny will just find excuses and complaints so he can get out of the Bronx, just like he did in Boston. That’s something George Steinbrenner would never tolerate 20 years ago, and we’ll see if Hank and Hal will in the present. Something like that. Anyway, I thought that guy was totally right and it convinced me fully that Manny is not the way.
Anyway, that’s about it… so, what to talk about now?
Well, how about music? I loooove music… whenever there’s nothing going on in the baseball world, I can talk about music. I’m very into rock, hip hop, jazz, rap, pop, a lot of stuff. I like bands like… Hoobastank, Linkin Park, Coldplay, Yellowcard, All-American Rejects, and then harder bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Alexisonfire, I like a little Disturbed, a little AFI. I like Fort Minor, Lupe Fiasco, the Flobots, a little Hollywood Undead, a little Kanye West, maybe even a little Flipsyde… you get the picture.
So, allow me to recommend a song?
Afterlife – Avenged Sevenfold
For any good hard rock songs, this is a good song… it’s catchy, it’s really an awesome song… check it out.
Anyway, that’s about it.
Stay positive, Yankee fans!
-EJ the Kid from New York